Saturday, September 27, 2008

Off Topic: Photoshop, or Something Like It

I really have been putting this thing off;  not just posting, but posting something like this.
My original intention was to keep a little tracker of my technology purchases, with relatively small reviews to accompany them.  There's so much out there in the electronics field today, and a growing majority of it is absolute garbage, so I figured I'd document the good stuff that I find, and give a few reasons why it may or may not be better that the rest.

This being only my second entry, one would assume that it would pertain to said topic.
The truth is that while I have made a purchase or two, I haven't really gotten around to reviewing anything yet.  But I did have the time to open up Photoshop and mess around a little.

Yes Donnie, I suck at Photoshop.

So in addition to any (eventual) technology ramblings, I would also like to use this wonderful service provided by Google to showcase my spiffiest (for the lack of a better descriptor) JPEG's I've created.

+++

I recently found out about this handy program called Iconic that helps in the creation of custom folder icons in Mac OS v10.5.  It's not a fancy icon creator; it basically takes any image file and "stamps " it onto a folder.  Some people hate the new "flat" folders in Leopard, but I don't mind them, and even though Iconic can be a pain in the butt sometimes (the images have to be very clean, and for the most part only black & white images give decent results).  After playing with it for a while, the results can be pretty neat.  So here's one I made for The Office, for your viewing pleasure.
I have a few of those floating around my computer now - I made one for Pushing Daisies, too.  They really make OS X look polished.  Or, at least, just a little bit cooler.


So the other thing I wanted to share is sort of a gag.  Over the past summer I spent most of the rainy days sitting in my room with the girlfriend playing through Kingdom Hearts.  I had both of the PlayStation 2 games sitting on the shelf for a few years and it was damn well time I actually broke down and played them.  anyway my girlfriend couldn't get enough of them, and I used to send her little pictures of Birth by Sleep and 358/2 Days, yada yada.  There hasn't been a lot of information recently, so today before work I made a quick mock-up of an ad for KH3.  I know it hasn't been announced yet, but come on, it's bound to come out, right?
Yeah, really quick, and yes that's just a weird font that says "AEIO," but it fooled her, and that made me chuckle a little.  And I even took the time to type out a little copyright disclaimer, which added a little bit of "authenticity."  Because who takes the time to fake a copyright notice just to get a little laugh?  (And another yes - that's just the back cover from the manual of KH1.  You try googling for a better "mysterious" KH picture).

+++

Next time (hopefully) - a review of my shiny new iMac!

No comments: